Login to your GDI control panel. Down the left side, find the button entitled "domains" and click it. You should see your domain there with a series of options to the right of it. You can change the options using the grey button "Change Settings" button underneath your domain. We want the build my site option.
When you click on the build my site button, you should come out at a screen that looks like the graphic below. We have reduced the size so as to incorporate it into our page. We also cut off the regular browser controls to get the image to load faster. Also the image below is a graphic so it does not work in our lesson. More about graphics and text later. The view below is the "page editor" view - so you should be seeing a screen that looks like this
Let's deal with each element of this page:-
- Clicking the "Create New Page" Button will allow you to get started. If you're just starting for the very first time, click the "Create New Page"
- Clicking the "Page Editor" button will put you on the page you see above where all the pages you have will be listed one below the other. In our example we have two pages. The main page and a contact page. From the Page editor you can select what you want to do to each of your pages.
- Clicking the "Gallery" button will put you in your own personal gallery from where you can insert images into your web pages. If you go to your gallery page you will find an upload section. In the upload section you should be able to browse the computer you are working from for images you want on your site. You should upload pictures to your gallery before you insert them into your site.
- Clicking the "Plugin Editor" button takes you to two forms supplied by GDI which you can add to your site over and above the 6 pages you are allowed with the site builder. The forms are a simple feed back form to get feedback from your visitors and a guest book which allows visitors to sign a guest book on your site.
- Clicking the "Traffic" button takes you to a page which shows how many visitors you have had in the last 24hrs, 7days, month or two months. Remember to visit our Internet Marketing and Site Promotion pages to learn how to drive traffic to your site and help build your downline.
- Clicking the "Help" button takes you to a detailed FAQ page which answers questions in depth about the individual components of the GDI site builder.
- Clicking the "Logout" button takes you out of the site builder. You don't have to log out but it is good practice to do so.
Now let's deal with the main control panel which shows what pages you have on your site and allows you to work on them individually.
- We are going to start with the properties box on the panel. This is where you should start if you are building a new page. Click on the properties icon of your page ( )and you will find a page which allows you to establish the basic layout of each page on your site. We suggest keeping it constant throughout your site so you have a consistent theme. You can always look at our example site Build A Website.ws to get an idea of what you can do with the builder and look at some typical themes. In the properties box you need to type a name for your page. Choose a theme and choose a layout for your page. You should do this for every page you build. Once you have chosen your page properties you shouldn't have to go back unless you want to change the theme or the layout. Click Submit when you have made a choice and go back to page editor view.
- Now go to the "Additional Properties" icon ( ) for your page and click it. On this page fill in a Title for your page. This is what your page is about. Now fill in the Slogan, Email address and your Phone number. In the keywords field, type in 5-10 words or phrases each seperated by a comma that relate to your page. In the Description field type in a 7-10 word sentence which describes what the page is about. Once you have chosen your additional page properties you shouldn't have to go back unless you want to change the details. Click Submit when you have made a choice and go back to page editor view. At this point we should have the main skeleton of our page in place. Do not worry about getting it 100% right the first time, you can always go back and change it.
- Now lets deal with the "Visible" box. The icon shows the status of the page. It is either visible (with an X in the block ) or hidden (no X in the block ). Clicking on the block will change the status of the page. This allows you to work on pages while other ones are published on the web. Efectively this takes a page on or off line. The visible icon works in both the published and unpublished modes.
- The "Preview" box allows you to see the final results of your hard work with any editing tools removed. This will show you what all your hard work on the page will look like when it is finally published. The preview icon looks like this
- The "Publish" icon also has two forms published ( with an X in the block ) or unpublished (no X in the block ). This effectively takes your site out of the site builder and makes it go live on the web. If you are working on a whole series of unpublished pages, you can publish them all by clicking the grey "Publish All" button. You can publish individual pages as you go by checking the individual page boxes.
- The "Delete" icon ( ) has only one function. Clicking on the delete icon will delete the page. Please note this icon is a little confusing as a red cross looks like the page has been deleted. In fact its a navigation icon to delete the page.
Sometimes when you are starting out , its often easier to delete a page and start over then to try and fix an existing one.
- Now to the "Edit" icon ( ). This will take you to the facility where you can edit each page. This edit feature is a little more complex than one paragraph so we have dedicated a whole page to it. Please go here to read about the actual page editor.
Site Builder Lesson 1 - the basic controls
Site Builder Lesson 2 - Planning your site in advance
Site Builder Lesson 3 - GDI Site Builder Getting Started
Site Builder Lesson 4 - GDI Site Builder Editor Modes
Setup Your Email
Promote Your Site
The Very Best Leads
Try it absolutely free for 7 Days!
Is your name available?
Are you too late?